7/2/10

We've been busy!

We bought out house! We've had it one week and one day.

Our home

Last Thursday, after we signed the papers, we headed over to the house to scrape the popcorn off the ceilings of the family room, dining room and kitchen. I taped everything off with plastic while Ben scraped. That night I got sick, I was sick all Friday as well. So needless to say, I was useless. But Ben being the trooper that he is, got up bright and early and headed over to the house. He scraped those ceilings all day! Around 1 pm our friend Gabe showed up to help him. Let me take this moment to give a huge shout out to Gabe! He worked there all day with Ben, left to go on a date with his wife, and then came back after wards and stayed till 2 am. Then he came back the next morning to help us move. He truly is the greatest of friends.

Like I said we moved Saturday morning. We had about 15 men from our ward show up to help us move. It took less than an hour to load and unload all of our stuff. They looked like little worker ants! We're so grateful for their hard work, and willingness to help.

On Sunday, Ben got sick. I think it was inevitable. He had been working himself physically and emotionally for the past 3 days. Plus I got sick so that didn't really help his chances. Thank goodness his wasn't as bad as mine was, or else we would still be living in a construction zone.

Early Wednesday morning, before work, Ben and I got up and went over to the house (we had been sleeping in our apt on air mattresses since Saturday.) and painted the ceilings. Our home teacher, who I thinks deserves the home teacher of the year award, let us borrow his paint sprayer. It was great! It only took us an hour to paint the Kitchen, Dining and Family room with 2 coats. Note to self: immediately remove tape after painting, or else paint will peel with tape.

After painting we had to clean our apt, we needed to be out of there that day. I had done most of the cleaning on Tuesday and therefore there wasn't much left to do. Thank goodness because that evening Ben and I were going on a date and I didn't want to be too tired for the movie. That's right we went to Eclipse. Our car dealer rented out a theater and invited all the people that recently bought Volvo's. It was great! The theater didn't have a lot of screaming girls or crazy people. I think the best part was that everyone whooped and hollered when Edward's car, not Edward, showed up. Gotta love Volvo. :)  The movie was great, I may or may not have gotten feverish during the Edward and Bella scenes, or when Jacob had his shirt off. I'm still deciding who's team I'm on.

Wednesday night was our first night in our house. It was exciting yet, terrifying at the same time. Our apt had felt safe, familiar and it was clean. Our house was new, messy, and under construction. It also makes a lot more noises (sometimes it sounds like someone is walking up in our attic). But one thing that I love about this house is that the master is on the second floor, that means we can sleep with the windows open and not be afraid that anyone is peeping in. I'm really going to enjoy living in a house.

Yesterday, Thursday, We took down all the plastic and cleaned up the dust. Also, we got a shop vac! I know they've been around for ever, but I think that we were made for each other, especially during this time of need. There was bits of popcorn and dust in the corners of ever room, on top of our cabinets, in window seals, but no more. I love you shop vac! Ben also cleaned the Family room carpet. The old owner had a pitbull, 3 different ones through the years of living here. These dogs peed everywhere! Gabe let us borrow their carpet cleaner, and now every carpet in the house has been cleaned. Once again, Thank you Gabe!! Even though they've been cleaned, we'll still be replacing them sooner than later.

Today I'll be unpacking the kitchen, which I'm very excited to do. I can't wait to start cooking again. Eating out is fun, but not when it becomes a necessity or when you're sick.

Here's some before and after pictures that I took

This is how the previous owner decorated the family room

And here's it now, with our future plans and scraped ceiling

Here's the Kitchen with what it looked like before

And here's what it looks like now


And here's the dining room, I don't think that I have any before picture of it. Oops!


We're going to be hardwood flooring the whole downstairs within the next year, hopefully. We bought some old 1960's maple floor from a guy who was taking it out of an old high school gym. We got an extremely good deal for it and so we couldn't pass it up. Once all the nails are pulled out of it we'll be ready to install it. But that's another project for another time. As for right now, I think we're just going to work on some small things, till we recuperate from the ceilings. Which might be a very, very long time.

2 comments:

Mily said...

Your house looks great! I'm excited to see all the before and after pictures! It is so great owning a home and you and Ben will have so much fun remodeling. Let us know if you need any help! Congrats on the house!

kami said...

how fun!! you've been working hard but it looks like it's paying off!